Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Chalkboard Pots

I've wanted to try chalkboard paint for a while and I finally decided to give it a try!  For my first project I chose to do chalkboard pots since I can re-use these year round for fresh herbs in the kitchen.

I bought two terracotta pots and the corresponding dishes at my local hardware store.  I don't know if it's because it's the off season but these were really cheap.  $1.49 each! 


I then bought some chalkboard spray paint from my local craft store.  They carried a number of color options but I chose classic black because it will look good regardless of season.

I followed the instructions on the can of spray paint by doing two coats and then letting them dry for 24 hours.

Once dry, I seasoned the paint by rubbing a stick of chalk along the entire surface.


I picked up a couple rosemary topiaries from my grocery store and thought that they looked like small Christmas trees so I just removed the packaging they came in and dropped them into my new chalkboard pots.  I also wrapped some burlap garland around the bottom to give them a finished look and drew evergreen trees on the pots.


The Advent calendar is one that my husband's grandparents had hand painted for him as a child.  I can't believe it still has all of the pieces!  While I was at the craft store I also bought some Christmas themed ribbon.  Looking forward to coming up with something for these!

No comments:

Post a Comment