Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Tufted Velvet Wingback Chair


Have you ever gotten a piece from your childhood home and gotten a warm and fuzzy feeling?  That's how I felt when my mom gave me this chair.  When I was growing up, it was in the "formal living room" which meant that I didn't get a lot of day to day use out of it.  But come Thanksgiving or Christmas time, our family got a lot of use out of it.


I spent a few weeks in the formal living room trying to learn how to play the piano.  An investment from which my parents have never seen any return.


The fabric is in pretty good shape considering its age and the fact that the house was never without cats and dogs.  There are some scratches in the wood and I still remember which dog those came from.


The front of the pillow was embroidered by my great-grandmother.  It was originally meant to be a square in a quilt for me but it didn't really go with the other embroidered squares so my mom took it and made a pillow cover for me.


It's nice when you can use things in your home that trigger found memories.  I'm not sure if I will reupholster and paint it.  For now I'm going to be patient and feel out what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment